Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blog Post 5

What is Project Based Learning (PBL)? “It is a teaching method in which student’s gains knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to a complex question, problem, or challenge. PBL creates an effective and engaging class that promotes students ability to master the common core state standards” (Buck Institute.com).



In the “Micheal Fawcett Discusses his PBL video”, I have learned a lot about PBL. I have learned that PBL can be used in many different ways such as blogging, and twitter. You can have more than one blog. A teacher's blog that can be use to connect with other teachers around the world that have the same ideas and doing some of the same things in the classroom. A class blog can keep teachers connected with students and students connected to each other. Teachers and students can read and comment on a class blog.

It gives the class the opportunity to communicate, connect, and collaborate with other students. How would I create my own PBL? I would set up a twitter account so I could discuss and talk about things as they happened and after it happened. I would continue to add people to my twitter weekly. It would help me to extend my network of people around the world. Using twitter would allow me to send and receive tweets from teachers and educators with different backgrounds and experiences that can be a part of my professional growth. This would allow other teachers and educators to exchange ideas about new sites, new web tools, classroom activities and projects.

Fawcett also uses live stream. It can give you the sense of being there in conferences and meetings with other teachers and educators from primary schools to universities around the world. As a future teacher, I plan to use PBL in my classroom. PBL makes school a more exciting environment in which for students can learn. It helps students learn what they should know and be able to do at the end of school.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Christina,

    I think to create my PLN I would use twitter as well. I have twitter now but I only use it for entertainment. I have never thought about using it in my career as a tool. I like how you said you can use it to be a "part of your professional growth". This can be true with networking with different teachers from across the world. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "What is Project Based Learning (PLN)? “It is a teaching method in which student’s gains knowledge and skills by working for an extended period of time to investigate and respond to a complex question, problem, or challenge. PLN creates an effective and engaging class that promotes students ability to master the common core state standards” (Buck Institute.com)." You have mixed up Project Based Learning (PBL) and Personal Learning Network (PLN).

    "I would set up a twitter account so I could discuss and talk about things as they happened and after it happened. I would continue to add people to my twitter weekly.' You should have already done the first of these and you should be doing the second on a regular basis.

    "As a future teacher, I plan to use PLN in my classroom. PLN makes school a more exciting environment in which for students can learn. It helps students learn what they should know and be able to do at the end of school.' I think you are still mixing up PBL and PLN.

    ReplyDelete